It’s that time of year. Some of you already have this under your belt (well done, my friends!). But if you’re like me…..now is about the time you’re thinking – I need to get some quick pictures taken of my family for holiday cards! Stat!
That said – you don’t want to spend a lot of money – either on the clothes, or a photographer. But, you want some great pictures to remember everyone as they are in that moment in time, in life.
So, my top tips for holiday photo season:
- Coordinate, don’t match. Look for pieces that complement each other, don’t go all 90’s on us and match (the days of the khaki pant and white shirt/dress thing are OVER).
- Shop your closet, first! What is one of your favorite things to wear? Start there…..and coordinate other people’s clothes in your household around that. What you’re missing, you can surely find at great places like the Gap, Old Navy – even Marshall’s or TJ’s!
- Let the kids be kids. If your daughter wants to wear something with sequins, let her. Just say – ok you chose that, so Mommy is going to coordinate the rest of the outfit! 😉 Let your son wear a Star Wars sweater – see my son’s below. You’ll love looking back at those pictures and remembering what their favorite things were. And you’ll get better smiles!
- Go for non-posed, in the moment shots. Again – the posed, all white with khaki look is so 90210 from the first go-around.
- Don’t want to shell out for a photographer? Have a friend use their iPhone 7! Or ask a friend who owns a nicer camera to take a few pics for you! You can return the favor for her, or take her out to lunch as a thank you. These photos below are mine from last year – I had a friend who is (more than) handy with her camera take them. I was THRILLED with how they turned out, they are some of my favorite pictures to date.
If you want to see a fully coodinated family outfit – all from the Gap at 50% off, using their current promo code – check out my Family Photo Pinterest Board right here: https://www.pinterest.com/mcmilano77/family-photo-shoot/
And if you just want to shop a few of my favorites…..I’ve made it easy and broken it down by family member:
For the woman:
For the man:
For the girl:
For the boy:
Happy picture taking!